How to Block a Website in all Web Browser of your Windows 7/8/Vista/XP: Internet is a giant source of knowledge and information. But with these resources, it also brings troublesome for few people. Many a times, people want to block a specific website to limitize themselves. Perhaps, your exams may be nearer and want to stay away from social networking sites. But you are not so disciplined to have control on themselves. You want to have fun with your friends by playing prank on them. Maybe, some parents want to stop their children from opening some inappropriate websites. But they do not know how to do it. So, here in this article I will teach you how to block a website in all Web browser of your Windows PC. It does not need much complicated work. You just need to edit the host file of your Windows OS. The host file is a computer based file used by the operating system to store information of IP address or pinging address. It is a Unicode plain text file named as hosts. It tells the system what it should do when a specific website is surfed. The step-by-step guide to block a website in your Windows 7/8/XP/Vista is given below.
Step-by-Step Guide to block a Website in all Web browser of your Windows 7/8/XP/Vista PC:
- Press Windows + R button. Run command window will appear in your screen. Type C:/Windows/system32/drivers/etc. Press ENTER. If your windows is installed in another drive, replace C:/ with the desired drive name.
- You will find a text file named hosts. Double click on it. Open it using Notepad when the windows prompt for it.
- Now, you need to edit it. But at first, right click on it and choose properties. Go to Security tab and make sure all the boxes are checked. It will allow you to edit the file or else you will not able to edit it.
- Locate to the line “127.0.0.1 localhost” or “::1 localhost”. Put the editing cursor just below of whichever line is lowest down.
- Type any website you want to block but preface it with “127.0.0.1” followed by a single space. I have blocked reddit.com as show in the below image.
- Add all the site’s domain at each new line. Now, save it.
- You are done now. All the added website is blocked in all web browser of your windows 7/8/XP/Vista PC.
If you want to restore your original settings of web browser in your PC. Then remove the entry of websites from the hosts text file and save it.